Sunday, July 5, 2015

DIY Glasses

I hope you had a great 4th of July! Today I will show you how to make your own glasses from bottles! Let's get started:

You will need:

  • Bottle
  • Alcohol or Nail Polish Remover
  • String or Yarn
  • Fire source (I used my stove)
  • Bowl with ice cold water
  • Sandpaper











The first thing I did was gather all of my materials. Then I wrapped the yarn around the bottle 4-5 times where I wanted the bottle cut, and cut the yarn with the scissors. After that, I tied it in a knot.











Then, I took the yarn off the bottle and soaked it in some nail polish remover.











Then I put the yarn back on.











After that, I set a bowl of ice cold water out.











Then I turned on the heat source, which in my case was my stove.











I set the ice cold water next to me, just in case there was more fire than necessary. Here comes the dangerous step: I recommend parents to do this, or at least parent supervision. I used the stove for the string to catch on fire. When it was on fire, I turned the bottle around and around, and didn't stop until the fire went out so the string could burn evenly. When the fire was out, I quickly plunged it in the ice cold water, and to my surprise, broke cleanly! 











As you might see, the glass wasn't even. Nothing a little sandpaper can't fix! So, for the last step, I took the glass outside and used sandpaper to make it even and smooth.











And that's it! This DIY was a bit more dangerous than the rest, but really fun and worth it to see the bottle break in the water. I hope you try it out, and be careful! Here I am posing for a terrible selfie with my new glass:











Until next time,
-Vasti




No comments:

Post a Comment